Monday, December 12, 2011

Writing: Get and Got

During my first semester of college, on the very first day of English Composition, Mr. Taylor announced to the class that we were not to use the words "get" or "got" in our (many) essays.  The man had a passionate hatred for these terms, as I found out -- his mighty red pen circled them each and every time you used "get" or "got", complete with a comment that reminded you of his dislike for the terms, in no uncertain way.

At first, I was annoyed by this.  After all, neither word is actually incorrect.  Who was he to say that we couldn't or shouldn't use words that worked perfectly well for what we were trying to say?  But, it was his class.  He was in charge of my grade.  I would have to conform to his standards, if I wanted to pass (not unlike working with a professional editor/publisher).  So, I worked really, really, really hard never to use either "get" or "got".  Let me tell you, it is hard not to use a word you're used to being an okay word -- especially when someone tells you not to.

Eventually, however, I learned to appreciate why he didn't like these words.  He was right -- there was almost always a better word you could use in place of either "get" or "got".  "I got to the store late." vs. "I arrived at the store late".  "I'll get the door." vs. "I'll answer the door."  In the written word, the second sentences really do sound better, less lazy, than the first sentences.

To this day, I try not to use either "get" or "got" in my writing.  And, to this day, both words mildly irritate me, when I see them in anything written.  Mr. Taylor's tutelage has stuck with me, there can be no mistake about that.

So, what's my point here?  When your editor, or critique partner, or (fill in the blank) fixes your word use, or tells you that certain words are coming off like you didn't really think them through - they aren't trying to be insulting, they are trying to help you become a stronger, better writer.  And, after all, that's your goal too, right?  No matter how good you are, how strong a writer you are, there is always room for improvement.  Anyone and everyone can become an even better writer.

Every single word in your manuscript should be deliberately chosen.  Every word should have a purpose.  And, ideally, every single word is the perfect word -- the exact right word -- the word you meant to use in precisely the right place, and in precisely the right context.

No comments:

Post a Comment